Thursday, January 29, 2015

Mental Health | What Can YOU Do?

Something you may not know about me is that the topic of mental health is very close to my heart. I know an array of people who have suffered with mental health issues as well as experienced it first hand. So much so that it is the thing I want to dedicate my life to helping “cure” as well as prevent.


Mental health is a problem. Just like cancer or diabetes, and it needs to be handled in the same fashion. As said in the video people are afraid of something being wrong in the brain, because the brain is the control center of the body. The thought of being out of control terrifies people.


When most people think of a mental health issue they think depression, and yes, that is the most common mental illness out there, but by supporting this stereotype that mentally ill people are depressed and in turn jumping to the conclusion that they’re suicidal, causes other issues. Most of this stereotype comes from the media and Internet, so this is our job to fix this stereotype. I know this   is just a blog post on another blog in the world if the Internet, I only have 3 followers!


But I have this Instagram account you all know it as @larry.tattoo and there are 12,000 people who follow it, now all 12,000 of them followed the account because they love One Direction and 5 Seconds of Summer.


---------------------------------------------------------------
But most of them are more than just people in love with a band. A lot of them are seriously depressed, always anxious, anorexics and bulimics. And there is one thing that I have in common with them, we’ve put on blankets.


Now you’re probably going what the heck is she talking about? When you go and get into bed you lay under blankets because they keep you warm and comfortable and protect you. It’s the same thing with mental illness. Some of us hide behind binging and purging routines, some of us hide behind counting calories, some of us hide behind drugs and alcohol, and some of us hide behind our razor blades and burn scars.


All of these examples have one thing in common, there is a numbness where you can’t feel or address the real problems that are going on. What I’m here to tell you about is the feeling after the numbness. The morning after the drinks or the cuts or the binge where you realize what you’ve eaten, or you have the headache of a hangover, or the sting of hiding your cuts under clothes, and when you realize you have nobody to call, or to help you, you realize how alone you are.


I know this feeling, and if I do one thing in the world I want to have a place that’s available to everyone where they can go to know they aren’t alone.


-----------------------------------------------------------------
There are two kinds of people who read this blog post.


  1. The Insiders.
If you have related to any of the things I’ve talked about and you know the feeling of numbness or the feeling after, you are an Insider, you are the person that other people need to go “yeah, I’ve had that happen and I recovered from it by doing _______”


2. The Understander
This is probably the harder position of the two, because the first reaction to someone who cuts or is a drug addict to just tell them to stop. The hardest thing for you is to understand, and you might never understand and that’s okay.
So now that I’ve rambled on forever there is something I want you to do. Share this blog post on your Twitter, Tumblr, or Facebook. Anywhere where you feel comfortable to share your own story. Share this link wherever you want to and share your story. Or if you don’t have a story of a mental health illness share this with someone who you know that is going through a hard time.


To show your support use the tag #mentaltalk to share with your friends and family, and follow my twitter https://twitter.com/mental_talk or leave a commen below, if you don’t feel comfortable with this being public you could always DM me on Twitter or email me bbkkluv143@gmail.com

I also just made an Instagram account (@mentalhealthproject) that is going to be a place to make your Instagram timeline brighter and more positive.


Thank you for reading. xx

4 comments:

  1. I've dealt with depression before, and it's hard. I always feel so lonely and empty and all I want to do is cry. And this may sound cheesey, but then I see something or watch something one direction related and I'm just a bit happier than I was before, you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know excatly how you feel, and that feeling is why I started the project, to help people who feel depressed and support them.

      Delete
  2. Recently I took a survey to see If i have anxiety and depression and it turned out that I have servere depression. I just get these feelings that I shouldn't be here. I usually keep everything bottled up inside and shut everyone out. But in all reality I want someone to comfort me. Im always the ine comforting everyone one so how come they cant do the same for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have taken a similar survey with the same results, it's hard to talk about your feelings, especially if you have the lingering feeling of being judged or alienated because of them, my project is here to give people a place to open up about their feelings in a caring judgment free zone.

      Delete

Leave your thoughts!